Friday, July 26, 2013

Pop Culture Blaspheny Vol. II

Movies

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Okay, in fairness, I haven't seen the entire movie, but that's mainly because it was so boring I fell asleep before the end.

First, the most obvious problem with this movie, the shockingly racist performance by Mickey Rooney.


And you can say all you want about how "it was a different time," but there could not possibly have ever been a time when this insulting caricature could ever have been remotely acceptable.

But  Rooney aside, I think, and this is where the real blasphemy comes in, the biggest problem with this movie is that Audrey Hepburn is horribly miscast.

Don't get me wrong, I like Audrey Hepburn as much as the next fella, although I'll take Katherine any day, but she was all wrong for this role. Audrey Hepburn, an actress for whom the term "ingénue" could well have been coined as the free-spirited, devil-may-care, Auntie Mame character? It doesn't work. (And by the way, if anyone is not using "Auntie Maim" as a roller derby name yet, you're welcome!)

2 comments:

jadedj said...


Rooney would have been well cast in Alvin and the Chipmonks.

So, Audrey did not go lightly into the night?

Sorry, best I could do.

jadedj said...

Btw, I hated this movie...for all the reasons you stated and then some.