Monday, October 7, 2013

Irony is not only merely dead, it's really most sincerely dead.



Popes John XXIII and John Paul II to be declared saints in April

From Ben Wedeman, CNN

Okay, I don't know anything about John XXIII, but I remember John Paul II.



And, not being Catholic, I'm not sure what the criteria for sainthood are, but I'm pretty sure that turning a blind eye while children are being raped and molested by men in your employ ain't one of them.

John Paul II was pope for a lot of years, and a lot of those years corresponded to the sexual abuse scandal and what did he ever do to stop it? Not only did he not lift a finger, not fire a single priest, let alone have anyone arrested, but he allowed these sexual predators to be transferred from parish to parish without anyone even being warned that "hey, we're sending you a new priest, don't leave him alone with your kids."

He was the absolute ruler of the entire organization and he did nothing. I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me he could have summoned all the priests to the Vatican and then had all the molesters arrested and jailed there because I think he's the king or whatever of that tiny nation, but he could at least have fired a few of these child rapists.

But sure, let's make him a saint. Why the hell not?

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The Vatican will move a lot of souvenirs and holy crap if these two are sainted. I suspect that's one of the real motives.