Thursday, July 12, 2018

How is this not a cult?



Remember back in the early days of President Cartman's administration (like what, 10,15 years ago?) when he put out that video of the cabinet meeting where they all went around the table taking turns telling President McCheese how honored they were to be working for him?

And I figured "well, they know he's a fragile narcissist and that flattering him is a sure path to job security and if they don't kiss his ass they'll probably get fired, so I assume none of this is actually sincere." Oh, sweet, naive younger me!

Well, it turns out I was wrong, because the letter we are about to explore comes from Scott Pruitt, a man who is resigning and therefore has no professional need to stay in Cheeto Mussolini's good graces. I mean, he can't go around telling the truth about Il Douche because that would cut into his wingnut welfare opportunities, but he's got no need to suck up to Orange Julius Caesar.

And yet. . .

(via WaPo)
Here is Pruitt’s resignation letter to Trump:
Mr. President, it has been an honor to serve you in the Cabinet as Administrator of the EPA. 
Okay, first of all - you weren't serving Donald tRump. I mean, you weren't really serving anyone except the extraction industries and big corporate polluters, but you were SUPPOSED to be serving the American people.


Truly, your confidence in me has blessed me personally 


Okay, that's the first use of the word "blessed." (we'll be counting how many times some form of the verb "to bless" is used.) In most religious traditions, blessings come from God. Not from a bloated orange narcissist. So if you're telling someone that they have "blessed" you, that's getting into cult territory.


Truly, your confidence in me has blessed me personally and enabled me to advance your agenda beyond what anyone anticipated at the beginning of your Administration. Your courage, steadfastness and resolute commitment to get results for the American people, both with regard to improved environmental outcomes as well as historical regulatory reform, is in fact occurring at an unprecedented pace and I thank you for the opportunity to serve you and the American people in helping achieve those ends.




Again you were not serving him. You were supposed to be serving us. But thanks for adding us on as an afterthought there at the end.



That is why it is hard for me to advise you I am stepping down as Administrator of the EPA effective as of July 6. It is extremely difficult for me to cease serving you in this role first because I count it a blessing to be serving you in any capacity,



Jeezus! He counts it as a "blessing" (2nd use) to serve this man "in any capacity?" Waylon Smithers doesn't kiss Mr Burns ass this grotesquely.


but also, because of the transformative work that is occurring. However, the unrelenting attacks on me personally, my family, are unprecedented and have taken a sizable toll on all of us.


And there's the obligatory conservative crybaby victim-card-playing.


My desire in service to you has always been to bless you as you make important decisions for the American people. 


There's that word again.

I believe you are serving as President today because of God’s providence. 



Hmm, you're saying the one in charge is God's chosen one? Yeah, that's not culty at all.


 I believe that same providence brought me into your service. I pray as I have served you that I have blessed you and enabled you to effectively lead the American people. 


Stop blessing each other! You're not God and neither is he! And neither of you are blessing anything, you're both a scourge on humanity. If God's providence (and by the way, the word providence means: a: divine guidance or care / bGod conceived as the power sustaining and guiding human destiny so it's redundant to say "God's providence) but if God's providence put you and the turd reich in charge, that means God is pissed and he's punishing us.

And that's 4 "blessings" in a three paragraph resignation letter.

 Thank you again Mr. President for the honor of serving you and I wish you Godspeed in all that you put your hand to.
Your Faithful Friend,
Scott Pruitt

gagging gag GIF


So that's a cult, right? People believe that their leader is sent by God to bless them and they are honored just to be allowed to serve the leader? How is that not a cult?


7 comments:

Infidel753 said...

I suspect hope for a pardon plays a role. Pruitt is potentially in a lot of trouble.

Bob said...

Delusional; the lot of them.

Professor Chaos said...

I hadn't thought about a pardon. That does make sense.

jadedj said...

First I need to say...PUKE! But, yup...a pardon is most likely the motivation. Otherwise, there may be some damned persistent dudes with large schlongs favoring him with some very real white butt-hurt in his future...courtesy of providence...of course.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Didn't that odious little scumbag Jeff Sessions quote from the Bible at some recent news conference that no one can question Trump because he is appointed by God to be president, or some such BS?

Professor Chaos said...

Probably. There's a passage in the Bible that says that people in authority are there because God put them there, but it only applies when a Republican is in office.

Infidel753 said...

Yep. Romans 13. It's been used for years to legitimize all kinds of odious authoritarian behavior. Suckabee-Handers used the same reference.