Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Why Ken Burns, for God/s Sake?

During the intro to game 1 of the World Series, they had a voiceover guy read a Ken Burns essay about baseball. Almost ruined the whole thing for me.

I've loved baseball for as long as I can remember, but Jesus Christ, Ken Burns! It's a fucking game. It's not an allegory for life. It's not a metaphor for America. It's a game.

And really, if you want a game that really represents the American ethos, I think you gotta go with football. Football is a game based on the principle that I'm bigger than you, so I'm going to impose my will on you. I'm going to knock you down, run you over and invade your territory. What the fuck you gonna do about it?

That's America!

3 comments:

libhom said...

That's funny. I like Ken Burns but don't like baseball.

libhom said...

I should also mention that both American football and baseball are two of the most bureaucratic sports in the world, which is extremely American.

Professor Chaos said...

You don't like baseball? Oh I'm sorry, i didn't realize you were a Commmunist SPY!!!!!

Seriously, though I don't really have anything against Ken Burns , it just drives me nuts when people wax poetic about baseball and make it into a metaphor for life or whatever. It's just a game, guys, get over it.