Wednesday, March 30, 2011

How Many Ways Can You Be Wrong in an 18-second Clip?

Well, let's see:



1: "most studies show"
     If you're going to make a claim backed up by "studies" you really have to cite at least one. Otherwise, I gotta think you might just be making this up. I could claim that most studies show that I am awesome. Wouldn't you ask "what studies?" And then I would answer: "a survey of my five-year old niece, and 100% of the respondents agreed that I am awesome." Now who looks foolish?

2: It doesn't take "supernatural powers" to survive. Ordinary, not super-powered people survive things all the time. Do you think that Chilean coal miners have super powers? I survived a very treacherous fall down the side of a mountain. Do you think I have. . .well, that's a bad example. Obviously, I do have the kind of powers that you can't imagine. The kind of powers of which most men dare not dream.

Like math. I'm pretty good at math.

3: Believing that you do have supernatural powers is probably going to be detrimental to your survival. If you're trapped in a collapsed coal mine and you convince yourself that you can use your super-human strength to tunnel out instead of waiting for the rescuers, you're probably not going to make it.

4: Even if by "supernatural powers" she's referring to the great feats of strength sometimes accomplished by people who get a surge of adrenaline in perilous situations, you don't have to be religious to believe in that. Atheists know about adrenaline.
http://www.reiofitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/woman-lifting-car-300x168.jpg

5. That hairstyle. That is all kinds of wrong.

No comments: